Monday, October 17, 2011

Days 10, 11, & 12: Sting Disappoints, Paisley Smiles, and Hickory Farm Cravings

So, once again, I've dropped the ball.  It was a tough weekend, for whatever reason, and I just couldn't get myself to write.  I can't blame the fact that I didn't have time nor can I cite some other profound reason; I think I was just lazy.  So, clearly, the discipline that I'm longing for still has a way to go.

That said, I did listen to some Christmas music.  Saturday was a two-album day, with Sting carrying the brunt of the weight that day.  Sting's If On A Winter's Night... is not a traditional Christmas album by any means, combining a unique combination of carols, lullabies, and more.  The result is something that's interesting, and certainly worth a listen, but that fails if you're getting jacked for the holidays.  It's the sort of music that might go along with some wintry, snow-filled meditation but, if you're looking for warmth and nostalgia, look elsewhere. 

The ship was righted with my next weekend listen, that the various collection, A Very Special Christmas.  Granted, it has some very dated tracks alongside some favorites but, to me, it just speaks a lot more of Christmas.  We're talking U2's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)," Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis," and, even though it's at track that drives me crazy, the Eurythmics' "Winter Wonderland."  Much more Christmas...

Sunday was slim pickings, with only one album on the slate and it was Brad Paisley's Christmas.  Paisley is one of those guys that I just love, with such a chill, down home sense of humor and who's wicked talented.  That's no less evident on this holiday album, with great rendtions of classics, plenty of smiles, and even a song Paisley wrote as a thirteen year old that makes all of this seem like drivel.  Which I guess it is.  Either way, great album.

Monday (aka today) was a two album affair.  Another various record Holiday Sounds of the Season 2002 led off, with a nice jazzy appeal that set the day up just right.  The afternoon found the indie-flavored sounds of Rosie Thomas' A Very Rosie Christmas closing the day out.  There's a playful notion to Thomas' album that I really appreciate and it was a nice way to bring the work day to a close.

They were a few interesting days.  I became an uncle once again as my sister-in-law gave birth to a beautiful bouncing baby boy.  I attended my first ever roller derby prom.  And my Christmas experiment continues to raise eyebrows.  And, frankly, I'm starting to develop some cravings.  For Hickory Farms summer sausage.  Which, as I shared with a friend of mine, is ironically named.  I mean, it's summer sausage but it's biggest time of year is winter.

Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment